Some exciting performances coming up!
- 2/9 solo concert at the Center for New Music in San Francisco for Tangents Guitar Series, a great organization promoting new guitar music, including works by Dai Fujikura, Van Stiefel, and Mario Davidovsky
- 2/13 solo show - I'll play some of those same pieces along with some of my
own lighter music for guitar and effects in Monterey at the Safari Club
- 3/5 song recital with soprano Elizabeth Weigle at Bowdoin College in Maine featuring the music of Bowdoin faculty member Vineet Shende alongside works by Peter Gilbert, Manuel DeFalla, and Aaron Copland.
- 3/9 solo set, "Antiphonal", as part of the openICE week at The Stone
Some other great recent projects last fall:
- performance interview on NPR Cleveland affiliate WCPN's Sound of Applause promoting a concert organized by the Cleveland Classical Guitar Society at the new Museum of Contemporary Art in Cleveland in early December (interview starts at 32:00)
- world premiere of Dai Fujikura's Sparking Orbit at the ZKM in Karlsruhe, Germany and song recital with mezzo soprano Tara Venditti in Darmstadt in late November.
ICE was in the UK for performances of John Zorn's brand new Baudelaires written for the group, and Dai Fujikura's ice, on the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival.
- guest curator for Red Light New Music November concert at Dimenna Center exploring musical quotation and featuring the works of Nils Vigeland and Reiko Fueting.
- world premiere of Kenneth Woods's Demonstrations for electric guitar and string trio and repeat performance of Peter Gilbert's Awake and Shine for string quartet and guitar at Newburyport Chamber Music Festival, a festival near Boston directed by violist David Yang.
- performance with the New York New Music Ensemble of Lukas Foss' exciting improvisation based work, Paradigm.
- world premiere of Zorn's Baudelaires with ICE at Chicago's MCA
- world premiere of Eric Chasalow's Where it Finds Nothing But the Wind with Dinosaur Annex and soprano Tony Arnold -- a video of the performance of this ambitious thirty minute piece based on Dead Sea Scrolls texts at Brandeis University is here.
click here for the calendar
Dai Fujikura's new recording including several guitar-centric works on the Vienna based Kairos label is now available! Inspired by Fujikura's close working relationship with the International Contemporary Ensemble (ICE), the release includes Sparks for solo guitar, Sparking Orbit (click here to hear a streaming version) for electric guitar and electronics, ice for ensemble featuring guitar, percussion, and flute, and Abandoned Time for electric guitar and ensemble.
Classical Voice of North America writes of the recently released Song Cycle: Schubert lieder transcriptions, "Lippel manages this quite well. “Aufenthalt” storms angrily, “Die Post” dances jauntily (but doesn’t fail to catch the note of despair in poet Wilhelm Müller’s lonely lover), and “Ständchen”is simply irresistible." This disc of transcriptions with the wonderful soprano Tony Arnold is available on New Focus Recordings.
Editing is in the works for a recording on New Focus of guitar works of Nils Vigeland and Reiko Fueting. Vigeland's recently composed duo Quodlibet, written in 2011 for myself and cellist John Popham, will be included, alongside several solo pieces - Fueting's red wall, arrangements of the traditional Hebrew melody Hine Ma Tov, and Vigeland's Two Variations.
I recently completed recording Andrew Violette's hour long Sonata for guitar, written in a beautful neo-Baroque style, complete with Fugue and Chaconne movements. It has been edited and a commercial recording is forthcoming, but in the meantime, it is posted in two parts on youtube, here and here.
click here for the discography